Should You Remove Copyright Claims On YouTube?

I got the question recently about whether or not you should remove copyright claims on your YouTube channel.

Personally, I don’t play around with copyright at all! Whether its a copyright strike or a copyright claim, I want nothing to do with that.

So in my opinion, remove it right away!

Video marketing is literally my favorite way to easily attract customers into my business WITHOUT EVER TALKING TO THEM first! This is the easiest way I know of to attract high quality leads into your online business with social media marketing.

You’ve probably been taught how to get customers by cold calling and spamming friends, family, and strangers on and offline. Many people teach to friend people everyday on Facebook and message those people about your products, services, and opportunity.

I will show you a way to not only increase your video views, but also how to increase your lead generation. Let’s get you customers without cold-calling or spamming people.

Social media plus online video marketing is a great business exposure opportunity! By leveraging social media with TikTok, YouTube, and online video marketing you can easily grow your business. You can learn to build your online business with ease in today’s day and age.

Learn what you need to do in order to succeed in your business even if you currently have low video views online.

———————————————Video Marketing Training———————————————

Access this FREE social media and video marketing webinar training for your online business. Learn how to quickly and easily attract high-quality leads and grow online faster!

——————————————————————————————————————————

Video Highlights

• [00:00] – Should You Remove Copyright Claims On YouTube?
  • [00:30] – Did you ever know that there was a difference between a copyright claim and a copyright strike on your YouTube channel?
  • [00:50] – Subscribe for more video marketing and social media marketing tips

I help entrepreneurs and marketers use video marketing strategies to attract their perfect client straight to their business online. For my weekly training on how to build your business subscribe to my channel here:

If you would like to know how you can start working directly with me, Karin Angelly, then you are going to want to check this out. I will teach you step by step how to start making money through video marketing on YouTube.

Other ways to work with Karin Angelly:

FREE: https://karinangelly.com/attract-leads-and-sales/
Calendar Link: https://karinangelly.com/bookme/

Connect Here:

Website: https://karinangelly.com/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@video.marketing.unicorn
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/karin_angelly/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/karinangelly/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/networkmarketingunicorn

E-mail: Karin@karinangelly.com

Have a question about online marketing, video marketing, YouTube, Or TikTok? Post in the comments section of this video!

#KarinAngelly #youtubeshorts #youtube #socialmedia #socialmediamarketing #videomarketing #onlinevideomarketing #videomarketingonsocialmedia #highqualityleads #onlinemarketingbusiness

About Karin Angelly:

Karin Angelly is a  wife, dog-mom of two yorkie pups, and by trade does anesthesia. In 2015 she started building her own network marketing company. She experienced explosive growth in her first company and built a 6 figure empire, but then got stuck and frustrated with the strategies and methods she was using to build her business.  That’s when she discovered online video marketing and went on to become a video marketing coach and YouTube expert.  She teaches how to create more leverage and time freedom while working less using YouTube.

Legal:

This video is NOT sponsored. Some product links are affiliate links which means I might make a small commission if you buy something. Know that everything I suggest I have personally tested and used to build my own business.

*All clips are used in accordance with YouTube’s “Fair Use” guidelines.

Please see the link for our disclaimer policy for all of our videos on our website:

Transcription Below

Should you leave a copyright claim on your YouTube channel? First of all, YouTube takes copyright super seriously.

So copyright claim is when another content creator can come along and say that you’ve actually taken parts or the whole piece of content from their YouTube channel. That claim does not affect your entire channel yet.

It’s only going to be affecting the video where the copyright claim is actually being stated. Copyright strike, you should take super seriously because as you can get your entire channel shut down for that copyright strike.

Especially if you have repeated offenses over and over again. The copyright claim, if you get up to 50 copyright claims on your YouTube channel, that can equal up to one copyright strike.

So it’s really important that any time you see anything on your channel that says copyright claim, copyright strike take it seriously. Because keeping that on your channel can actually cause you some pretty long term problems.

Karin 🦄

328 thoughts on “Should You Remove Copyright Claims On YouTube?”

• @Motherhood Meditation you either delete the entire video or trim the video to trim out the copyright portion. This can be done in YouTube. I’ll be releasing a shirt that talks all about this. 🦄

• @Awareness Meditation you either delete the entire video or trim the video to trim out the copyright portion. This can be done in YouTube. I’ll be releasing a shirt that talks all about this. 🦄

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly
      yes but all my videos are copyrighted pretty much when I give credit on most of them.

• @Jxyllce that’s fair. Just know that you might have to dispute it to YouTube, and they may or may not accept it. If you get 50 copyright claims it’s possible to get a copyright strike. So be prepared to dispute if you continue.

• @Jxyllce not sure what you mean. I think you’re asking about the copyright strike. A copyright strike can result in you losing your YouTube channel. They can also block you from certain features for a while. It just depends on what YouTube/Google want to do.

1. I got to copyright claim but my videos are a trend that’s going around. I took the videos down does anything happen? When you get three?

• So if it’s a trend and you got a copyright claim, it’s most likely because that sound is a song that you need to find on the YouTube platform. You are protected from copyrighted sounds as long as it’s not from an outside source other than YouTube. I made a video about this exact thing.

If you receive 50 copyright claims that you do nothing about, you can receive a copyright strike. If you delete them, you are fine. Hope that helps! ❤️

• @GabbyNight got it! If it’s not the sound, it could be that you are using clips from someone else? I would analyze your video and ask yourself if there is something that is taken from another creator. Is this a YouTube short? Or is it long form content? There are a great many reasons that this might be happening. So looking at your content with an analytical mind will help. 🦄

• @GabbyNight☆ got it! If it’s not the sound, it could be that you are using clips from someone else? I would analyze your video and ask yourself if there is something that is taken from another creator. Is this a YouTube short? Or is it long form content? There are a great many reasons that this might be happening. So looking at your content with an analytical mind will help. 🦄

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly my videos are cringe and there not shorts btw you can do whatever you want 🙂

• @GabbyNight So most likely it’s because you have taken some form of content from another creator and YouTube is recognizing that. You can dispute it, but make sure nothing is from another creator. ❤️

• @GabbyNight☆ So most likely it’s because you have taken some form of content from another creator and YouTube is recognizing that. You can dispute it, but make sure nothing is from another creator. ❤️

2. What does the + sign mean next to a number? Does that just mean it’s just a warning? Also thank you this video helped a lot to help me understand.

• @AimbotGuy yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @AimBotGod yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @Universal Chad yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @IamNotMad yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @PsychoEdits yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @UzumakiEdits yes. You will want to find royalty free music. Otherwise you will run into this problem.

• @AimbotGuy depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @AimBotGod depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @Universal Chad depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @IamNotMad depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @LoL depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @PsychoEdits depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• @UzumakiEdits depends on if you’re using copyright music or not. I made a video on how to bypass this. Basically if YouTube has that sound, you should use that sound from YouTube instead of another place. Hopefully that makes sense.

• Yes. You will want to either delete them or edit out the copyright section if you know where it is. Sound or picture can be copyright.

• ​@Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly
      I just made a video yesterday and it say copyright claim,but I haven’t copied anyone :/
      Me and my friend were just having a contest 🙁
      How do I fix it????

• Go into the video you want to edit. Then tap the blue edit button. On the left hand side there is a button that says editor. Tap that and then you can edit your video however you want in there. You can trim, add sound, blur etc. It’s not the easiest editing program, but it allows you to trim out the part of the video that is copyrighted. Hope that helps! ❤️🦄

3. this is urgent so anyone please answer this as fast as you can. my most recent video says it has a copyright claim. should i just delete the video?
    update: i did delete it. is that bad?

• So depending on the kind of video. If it’s a short it’s most likely copyrighted music. Delete the whole thing. If it’s long for video, then see if you can figure out if there is a part of the video you can delete that has the offensive part. If you can’t figure it out, then delete the entire thing. You don’t want copyrighted videos on your channel. Hope that helps! ❤️

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly
      yes, thank you so much! but another question, will that copyrighted video (that i deleted) still affect my channel even though i deleted it?

4. I EVEN DID NOT COPY BUT IT JUST SAYS “COPYRIGHT CLAIM⚠️” ON YOUTUBE WHYYYYY PLEASE REMOVE THIS YOUTUBE WE DIDNT EVEN COPY😭😭😭😭

• You can dispute it. There are ways to go about that. However, YouTube doesn’t normally grant stuff like that from my experience. I don’t know anything about your video. However, ask yourself if you used a mainstream sound in the background. It could be that. Or even if in your video, their is a sound around you that is mainstream that could be copyright. Just some things to think about. ❤️

• Did you check to see if YouTube had an explanation for this? They are pretty good at having explanations. Try hovering over that. I have a feeling it’s warning you about your copyright in your video again. 🦄❤️

• Just found this in the YouTube help. I knew they had an explanation somewhere. That symbol means that YouTube AI has found harmful content. Meaning something that incites harmful or dangerous activity.

5. I put music in my shorts, and the copyright claims say that the owners allow it, and there are no restrictions. Does it still mean at 50 I’ll get a strike though?

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly No, just under restrictions it says there is a copyright claim. It knows what the song is, but says there is no impact on the video. It also says my channel is not affected.

• @DracoY4L well if that message is from YouTube, I would go with it. If it’s not from YouTube, then I would be careful.

You just have to remember that you are borrowing YouTubes platform. You don’t own the space. Hopefully that helps! ❤️

6. For monetisation you need 1k subs and 10 mil view within 90 days. Say if I get a copyright claim on one of my videos does the views still count?

• A copyright claim will not affect the overall health of your channel. A copyright strike will. Receive 50 claims and you will receive a strike.

As a side note if you want to monetize with long form content it’s much easier. 1k subs and 4,000 watch hours. If you mix your channel with both, you will easily get there. Just FYI. 😉

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly so If I have a Copyright claim on a video, does the watch time hours on that video still count towards my monetization goal?

7. I was drawing mimikyu from pokemon and I didn’t use any sound but it said copyright claimAnd now I’m dying and PANICKING so I deleted the video but Im still so afraid.any tips?

8. So i want to start making money on YT, but some of my videos have copyright claim on it.
    If i set those videos to private, will it still affect my channel?

• So the thing that stinks is that even if someone else did it, YouTube states that you can still get in trouble. 🤷🏼‍♀️ It’s YouTubes playground, we are just playing on it!

• Is this you playing the video game? You don’t have rights to that artwork, audio, and game would be my guess.

I would test first my taking out the audio. You can change the audio without having to delete the video in YouTube’s editor. 🦄

9. I honestly think Youtube should remove unfair copyright claims. I worked 7 hours on a one hour playlist and Youtube just set the visibility to ‘Blocked’. They should check if the description gives credits to the original artist, and based off that, decide whether to copyright claim the video.

• When you receive 50, you will get a copyright strike. So be mindful of that because a strike is serious. 🦄

10. my recent video, i uploaded it and not even 5 minutes after uploading it got a copyright claim. i used my own sound, my own photos and my own video. it happened to my first one aswell, can somebody please tell me what’s wrong?

• When you get 50 you will have a copyright strike which is serious. I would try and remove the parts of the video that are copyright or remove the whole video. 🦄

11. I have over 10, but since one copyright claim is equal to 50 claims, I need 150 claims to get my channel shutdown, but I think I’m good.

• There is something that is being picked up by YouTubes AI that says you’re using someone else’s content. Most of the time it’s audio. Check your audio and if it’s not that, then ask what images or clips you might be using from other sources. Good luck! 🦄

• There is something in there that YouTube sees as copyright. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Try testing the sound first. You can edit within the YouTube platform in case you didn’t know.

• @Anime Gacha edits you can use a video editor like KineMaster or FinalCut Pro to change that. I use KineMaster on my phone.

If you’re doing a short, I recommend 9:16 view. That will always do better for you.

For a long form video you should just shoot it in landscape mode. If you can’t, then use a video editor.

• So I use cap cut to make my edits so they are Already made so I just post them but they are not landscape so you can’t see the whole video

• You can either type in royalty free music on the internet and test using that. Or YouTube also has a lot of sounds either for shorts of long form content. Long form content music can be found in the editor app. I created a short to show you how to navigate this.

• You won’t generate revenue off of the video with the copyright claim. The rest of your channel should be fine. Just realize that 50 copyright claims equals one strike and this can affect your channel.

12. Copyright claims only happen to content that is inside of content id or when a copyright owner has access to the content id system and manually copyright claims your YouTube video

• That’s not fully true. Half true. YouTube’s AI can pick up on video content that is copyrighted.

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly or at least content that’s very similar to the original in their database like a cover song or an edited music video that shares a lot of content from a tv show or a movie

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly yeah content id scans every video uploaded to youtube and checks it against an enormous database of copyrighted content if there’s a match your video will get a copyright claim but even with music videos it can mostly just be copyright claimed because of the song and not the official music video unless you use a large potion of or heck even the entire music video

13. Hi 👋 I messed up I wasn’t thinking 💭 because Halloween 🎃 and all and did 2 or 3 videos inside spirit Halloween. I’m new at this well I do have another channel and I have never had a copyright claim I was so shocked 😳 to see that. I’m not going to be able to be monetized am I on this channel? Should I take those videos down ? Their really cool 😎 with the Halloween 🎃 costumes and all. Or how do I edit ✍️ it to add in different music 🎵 I don’t know what to do

• You can’t monetize those videos most likely. The channel is fine. If you receive 50 claims you will get a strike and that’s a big problem.

If you go to the video that has the claim and then go to the left hand side bar, there is a tab called editor. You can edit your uploaded video that way.

Hope it helps!

• @Gabby’s Garden you can just delete them. You can also edit like I explained. ❤️ Depends on what you want to do! 🦄

14. I got a copyright claim on my video today. And I was wondering, can you use the music from CapCut? Cuz I think that’s why I got a copyright claim.

• I haven’t tested music from CapCut, but sound is one of the biggest reasons for copyright claims. You can test it and swap out sounds to see. 🦄

• Yes technically. I would just be careful with that line because who’s to say that YouTube doesn’t add to that list constantly. Best just to watch your copyright as much as possible.

• @Jake Toronto 66 not sure what you mean by this.

It’s pretty safe to say that if you use music that is royalty free or public domain and you won’t have trouble. 🦄

15. Hi! I have only 8 copyright claims on my channel. I haven’t delete it yet cause when I upload, it says the copyright owner allows me to use the claim content which is why I not delete it yet cause I think it’s okay. But after learning about copyright stuff, I kinda worried about my channel termination due to copyright claims. Certain copyright videos I can edit using YouTube Tools by muting or trimming but some doesn’t have any options at all. So my question to you is that, should I delete all of them or just let it be in my channel? What should I do? 🥺

• Unfortunately there is no clear cut answer here. If it says copyright claim on your channel where the restrictions are, I would tread lightly. At the end of the day, the YouTube AI is what will issue copyright strikes after reaching 50 claims. You can try to dispute it, but Google and YouTube are not always easy to do back and forth with. Most of the time when I have an issue on my account, I just have to suck it up with Google. They aren’t the easiest company to fix issues with. That’s just my experience. 🦄

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly Okay. I understand what you mean. If that’s the case, I’ll just leave it on my channel instead. And if possible I don’t dare to dispute it either because the video that has a copyright claim on my channel is not mine. So if I dispute it, most likely they will copyright strike to my channel which will be more problematic. So for the safety of my channel, I just leave it alone and do nothing. I think doing it that way is safer. After all my copyrighted videos are purely for entertainment purposes only and not for profit. So for me, I’m okay with it and the ad money will also go to the respective copyright owners fairly. Anyway, thanks for your explanation and help. Now I understand a little bit about copyright. It is very much appreciated. Thank you once again. 🙏😊

• @Taufik Rahman I would tread lightly with leaving it. Sounds like something you could have trouble with. Always your choice though. 🦄

• Copyright claims don’t mean you won’t get views. When you hit 50 you will receive a strike and at that point you will run into trouble.

16. Tysm I had a copyright one since I reposted something and I didn’t know if I should delete it cuz the vid didn’t get take down so ty 🙂

• ​@Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly oh and I have 2 questions so the first one is if I get a copyright and I delete it will the strike go away? And the second question is if I do get 50 strikes will I still be able to watch videos just not post?

• @randomvids._.120 there are copyright claims and copyright strikes. A copyright strike does not go off of your account if you delete the video. You have to wait 90 days, dispute it, or send a message to the copyright owner to dispute.

A copyright claim can be edited or deleted and no longer have the claim on your account.

When you receive 50 copyright claims, you receive a strike. You are required to go to copyright school and your video will be taken down automatically by YouTube. Your first strike is a big deal, but you have up to 3 strikes before you completely lose your entire account.

Hopefully this helps and makes sense.

• It’s hard for me to really know what’s going on from this. However, most of the time it has to do with music or sounds. Good luck!

17. If i just got 2 claims and never get more of them can they ever become a strike or remove my video

And if i get a takedown request can i edit my video
    if i got already the strike can i edit my video with YouTube editor of is it to late

And the last one if i never getted a content id claim on my video can i still get a strike

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly
      Okay you get a strike for 90 days taths clear
      so if your get a strike you can still edit the video the video isnt gone yet , views?

And can a content id claim become a strike like sombody monetize my video and after 3 months it dont get views anymore decied to change his claim in a strike?

• @Ambishush from what I understand, when you get a strike, they also remove the video for you. That last question is a very hypothetical specific detail that I’ve never seen YouTube specify.

Moral of the story, create your own content. 🦄❤️

• What do you mean “get it back?” If you have a copyright claim they don’t take the video down. A copyright strike will be removed though. As far as what YouTube had said in their YouTube help section, it sounds like it’s permanent. Unless you get it appealed. I’ve personally never gotten that far. I’ve only ever had copyright claims.

• If it’s a copyright claim it won’t hurt you if it’s sits on your account for a while. It will start to hurt you if you keep accumulating up to 50 claims.

• Easiest way is to use songs from YouTubes library. You can also search for public domain songs online.

• If it’s a copyright claim then yes you can. It won’t affect you. Copyright strikes automatically get taken down and will stay a strike on your account for 90 days.

18. I deleted my two copyright claims and I really wanted to go live for my first time and it didn’t let me and it still said I had a strike for some reason. And I only had two copyrights in my life, so that’s why I got so confused because you said over to 50.

• @Video Marketing Unicorn – Karin Angelly
      Well I uhh
      I Upload a certain video and it have copyrights in it
      But…
      I see this ⚠️ symbol on the video (it si located in the placement words for the words * copyright claim * )

19. Question how would you edit out the copyrighted music if we get a copyright claim, if we already uploaded and edited the short? Or video but I mainly post shorts

• You can use the YouTube editor to edit after you upload. I’ve never done this with shorts though. Might be more difficult than a long form video.

20. A copyright claim will not adversely affect your youtube channel’s ability to post new videos but there’s no limit on how many copyright claims you can get on your channel

21. A copyright claim or multiple copyright claims will not adversely affect your YouTube channel’s ability to live stream and uploading new videos, whereas a copyright strike will remove your video from YouTube and if you get 3 copyright strikes your channel will be subject to termination and copyright strikes happen when a copyright owner reports your video for copyright infringement manually

• Yep. You’re not wrong. Unless you receive 50 copyright claims. Then YouTube states you will receive a strike.

22. Ok but this is where the BS starts,I made a school project vid on my channel,using my own voice,it got claimed,I made a vid without using any music and just playing a game,claimed,me just playing fortnite,claimed for using a song even though I didn’t use ANY music.

• You can try editing first. That’s the best start.

YouTube doesn’t specify this, but I would think the answer is no. I personally delete and move on.

And truly the only time you get in trouble with claimed videos is when you receive 50 claims on your channel. That will get you a strike. Hopefully this helps!